As a designer, I am often faced with the dilemma of which colors to use in my designs. I don’t want to use or not use a color strictly because I have a certain like or dislike for it… I want to choose a color that will help get a message across, that will help brand my client.
Color conveys meaning to us whether we are aware of it or not. Sometimes color can hold certain meanings for us based on our personal taste, but most often color holds meanings based on how they are viewed and portrayed within our culture. For example, in the United States, black is the color most often associated with death and mourning whereas in India, the color that represents death is white.
Color is important in all aspects of design, but the place where it is most important is in logo design. A company’s logo is most often the first thing the consumer faces when introduced to a brand… it’s the first imipression and you want it to be a good one. Here are some helpful tips for choosing the right colors for your next logo…
• Passion, Energy, Danger, Aggression, Stimulates Appetite
• Innovation, Modern Thinking, Youth, Fun, Approachability
• Sunny, Warm, Friendly, Stimulates Appetite
• Negative: cowardice, warning
• Natural, Ethical, Growth, Freshness, Finance
• Professionalism, Seriousness, Integrity, Authority, Success
• Royalty, Luxury, Wisdom, Dignity, Wealth
• Fun, Flirty, Feminine
• Power, Sophistication
• Negative: villainy, death
• Purity, Simplicity, Naivete
• Masculine, Rural, Outdoors
Kristen Oaxaca, Graphic DesignerRead More