It’s a dog-eat-dog world in the realm of Graphic Design. You’re constantly working to keep your clients satisfied, but no matter how hard you work, there are times when you lose clients to your worst enemy. On the flip side, when you play your cards right sometimes you’re able to land the clients you’ve been striving towards. If you haven’t gotten this last part mastered yet, here are a few tips that can help you get the clients you want!
1. KNOW YOUR COMPETITORS Whether they’re freelancers or design firms, be aware of where clients are going for work instead of coming to you.
2. KNOW WHY THEY’RE SUCCESSFUL It doesn’t help to know your competitors unless you know why they’re successful. Is it their strategy? Their ideas? Their pricing?
3. EAVESDROP I’m not talking about going undercover or becoming a Nosy Nancy… but go out and find the gossip! Attend parties and other social events with people in the industry. These events are where you will find out which competitor is doing what.
4. MAKE THEIR WEAKNESSES YOUR STRENGTHS Figure out where your competitors suffer and (if it’s doable) make their weaknesses your strengths… then show those strengths to your potential clients.
5. BE DIFFERENT You won’t get clients if you’re the same as everyone else. Make yourself different and go shine!
6. SPECIALIZE Become well versed in a particular area… brand identity, print design, outdoor advertising, etc.
7. CARE Win your clients over by good behavior. Listen to your client’s needs, make them feel important, get the projects done on time!
Kristen Oaxaca, Graphic DesignerTags: Cleints, Customers, Freelance, graphic design